Recovery and discharge time will vary depending on the type of surgery performed and/or anesthesia administered.
Written and verbal discharge instructions will then be provided for post-operative recovery.
When you get home after surgery, please keep the following in mind:
- Please follow the post-operative instructions regarding diet, rest, activities, and medications for a speedier recovery.
- It is common to feel drowsy, dizzy, or nauseous following anesthesia. These are normal side effects of anesthesia and may last for 12 to 24 hours after surgery.
- Please do not engage in driving or operating machinery, smoking, consuming alcoholic beverages, or making important personal/business decisions for at least 24 hours after surgery.
- If you experience unexpected severe pain, heavy bleeding, or a temperature greater than 101 degrees Fahrenheit, contact your surgeon or go to the emergency room immediately.
- The next working day following surgery, an Insight Surgical Hospital nurse will contact you to check on your progress.